Hello Friends,
This is my first blog and in the
first blog I attempt to write on a subject which is dear to me and all of us. Happiness----Basically happiness is being in the present self, which can be experienced here and now at
this moment. Having said that, what I
have found out happiness comes from small things, experiencing the little
pleasures of life, which gives the utmost bliss, joy and the high, which can
just felt but not be explained in words. So for my first blog, I am writing on
the things which I do or would love to do, taking my happiness frequency to
higher levels. These prove to be excellent stress busters too. So here my list
goes:
1. Connect with Self- Being
with oneself, without the TV, mobile phones, just you and yourself. Meditate,
go for walks in nature. Every day spend around half to one hour doing things
you love, be it reading, listening to music, cooking, gardening, anything you
love. I usually keep one hour before going to sleep as my “Me” time and believe
me it refreshes me from all the tensions and stress of a hectic work schedule.
2. Spend time in Nature- Yes, going out in the nature, be it walks
in the woods, hiking a mountain, sitting on the shore listening to the sounds
of waves of the sea or ocean or the waves of the river. Some of us like me are
not so lucky to stay close to nature, but in urban jungles. However, we have
our local neighbourhood parks where we all go for morning and evening walks.
Next time when you are there for the morning walks, just listen to the chirping
of the birds, observe the trees and flowers, listen to the gentle breeze, it
will have a soothing effect on you. On my drive back to home from work, there
is a two minute stretch at the India Gate, where the birds go back to their
homes, and the chirping of thousands of birds takes me an altogether different
plane.
3. Make new friends and connect with the old – Nothing can be more
refreshing than spending quality time with good friends. Unfortunately, in our
busy world, often our old friends get apart due to the realms of physical
distance. We should not hesitate to make new friends. For years, I had this
hesitation or blockage to meet new people and due to this I used to be bored
sitting at home. But this year, I decided to break this barrier of mine and I
really congratulate myself for making this decision. And whenever you find the
opportunity to connect with your old friends, avail it. Don’t think of time,
work or anything, make it happen. It is so much fun to have those rounds of
tea/snacks and gossips of good old golden days.
4. Try out new things – You have one life and one should experience
everything that life offers. Pursue a new hobby like learning any instrumental
music, taking up salsa or tango classes; learn Qui Gong, yoga etc. Indulge in
outdoor and adventurous activities like snorkelling, diving, sky diving and
many others. For the less adventurous ones, go out for an opera, a concert, a
theatre shows etc. There are many things out there. Explore is the word.
5. Travel to places in the world – Being a travel enthusiast, this
one tops my list so much so that I want to see the whole world. I have made a
resolution that I will visit at least one foreign land in a year and by God’s
grace, for the past three years i have succeeded in this pursuit of mine. And
when you travel, don’t be the touristy kinds, be with the locals, stay like the
locals and try out the local cuisines.
6. Get wet in the rains – Sounds crazy, but don’t you remember we
used to get drenched when we were young. Why not revisit our younger days and
cherish those memories again. And if you are afraid of falling sick, you can
stand on your window sill and let the rain drops pour on your face and breathe
in the smell of wet earth.
7. Pamper Yourself – Make it a weekly, fortnightly or monthly
(depending on how much you want to make a dent on the pocket.:)) schedule to
make a appointment with the spa and give yourself a relaxing session. You don’t
have to wait for the reason or occasion for visiting a spa. Next time you need
to life up your spirits, you know where to hit.
8. Hang out with your gal pals – Have an exclusive girls’ day out
once in a while, even if you are a wife, a mother, daughter, girl friend, with
all responsibilities. Go for a movie, shopping, eating, go for weekend tour,
have a blast!!!
9. Volunteer for a social cause - The biggest form of joy comes
from giving. Donating for a cause which is dear to your heart either
financially or your time often makes us forget our pain and sorrows.
10. Finally, last but not the least, love yourself, be happy in the
present moment, enjoy the now, don’t worry about the future. One can be happy
even without doing any of the above things or can be unhappy after doing all
these and more. Happiness lies within, which can be enhanced by the
externalities, but one should be happy from inner self to enjoy the happiness
of the outer world.
I would like to acknowledge my friend and guide Kapilji for telling me that "Happiness is basically an attitude and it lies within."..
I would like to acknowledge my friend and guide Kapilji for telling me that "Happiness is basically an attitude and it lies within."..
Wow Nilanjana!! I must say that you have an authoress within.....kudos & keep on writing.
ReplyDeleteThanks Deepak!!! Will surely keep writing:)
Delete